GATE 2016 PATTERN CHANGE
Gate started its online exam venture from 2014 onwards. It had a very long history of written examination dating back to the 1984. The IITs decide to make the GATE exam online so as to cop up with the advancement in technology and also to reduce the usage of paper to make the country green. Around 804,463 students attended the GATE 2015 exam.
People find it hard to crack gate because they study the wrong way. Most of the students secured less than 100 ranks prepared for only less than 6 months. So it’s not late for starting preparation.
It takes a long time to understand one concept in depth. Trying to get a deep understanding of everything by studying reference books is the best way to waste your time. A better approach would be to solve papers and use reference books to refer to answers. After solving just 2 or 3 papers you will see your score increasing. For gate, a breadth first approach is much better than depth first.
Tips for cracking GATE 2016
- Spend atleast 15 hours a week for GATE preparation. Dedicate sufficient time for it. As mentioned earlier, NO DISTRACTIONS!
- Solve previous year’s question papers. That’ll give you a feel of how the exam would be.
- Working smart alone isn’t sufficient. Because there’ll always be smarter people than you. Work hard too, and be consistent.
- After completing Btech Graduation, if you wish to go for GATE exam then it means that you are aiming for a top rank.
- You should have a good interest in Engineering and should wish to crack GATE exam as a battle because you are going to challenge all the engineers in INDIA.
- The Gate competition had increased greatly after the entry of PSU recruitments through GATE but it doesn’t matter if you study focused.
- If you want to become an IITian then you need to live and study like an IITian today itself
- Never ever try to mug up any concept because it will not help you at all
- Its not about how many subjects you studied. Its all about how well you studied each one of the subjects.
- If you can get concise classes from experts who can make you understand the fundamentals in a simple manner, definitely go for it.
- Full time coaching of gate exam will maintain you in the track of studies
- Solve the available previous year question papers
- Keep in mind that problem solving is the greatest factor in getting a high gate rank
- Write down the basic equations and the necessary short notes in a language that you can easily understand.
Whats New in GATE 2016
1. An online virtual calculator will be available to examinees at the time of examination. No physical calculator will be allowed. The online virtual calculator will be put on GATE 2016 website for practice before the examination.
2. After completion of GATE 2016 examination, all answer keys will be made available for dispute within a short time. Every answer key can be challenged. A nominal fee will be levied to prevent frivolous challenges.
3. A new paper Petroleum Engineering (PE) is introduced in GATE 2016. With this, the total number of papers is 23.
The entire syllabus is available at the GATE 2016 website http://gate.iisc.ernet.in
|GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) Website Opens for Enrolment, Application Filling, Application Submission||September 1, 2015 (Tuesday)|
|Last Date for Submission of Online Application through Website|
|Last Date for Request for Change in the Choice of Examination City via GOAPS login||November 20, 2015 (Friday)|
|Availability of Admit Card on the Online Application Interface for printing||December 17, 2015 (Thursday)|
|GATE 2016 Online Examination
||January 30 to February 07, 2016|
|Announcement of Results on the Online Application Website||March 19, 2016 (Saturday)|
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all India examination that primarily tests the comprehensive understanding of the candidates in various undergraduate subjects in Engineering/Technology/Architecture and post-graduate level subjects in Science. The GATE score of a candidate reflects a relative performance level in a particular subject in the examination across several years. The score is used for admissions to post-graduate programs (e.g., M. E., M. Tech, direct Ph.D.) in centrally funded Indian institutes of higher education (i.e., institutes which are provided with financial assistance by MHRD and other Government agencies). The score is also used by some Public and Private Sector Undertakings for employment processes. Direct recruitment to Group A level posts i.e., Senior Field Office (SFO Tele), Senior Research Officer (SRO) (Crypto) and SRO(S&T) in Cabinet Secretariat is now being done on the basis of GATE scores.
Basic Features of GATE 2016
1. Examinations for all the 23 papers will be conducted by an ONLINE Computer Based Test (CBT). The online examination paper will contain some questions for which numerical answers must be keyed in by the candidate using the virtual keypad. Rest of the questions shall be of Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) type.
2. Biometric information (Photograph and Fingerprints) for randomly selected candidates may be captured before the start of the examination.
3. GATE 2016 examinations will be held during forenoon and afternoon sessions on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) between 30th January 2016 and 7th February 2016. Examination for some of the papers in GATE 2016 will be held in multiple sessions. Exact details regarding complete examination schedule will be notified at a later date.
4. For GATE 2016 the entire process of filling up of application form, uploading of certificates/documents etc., will be online and the candidates should not send any hard copy of their application form/documents etc., to IISc or any of the IIT’s zonal GATE office.
5. The payment of application fees would be through electronic mode online as well as through payment at bank counters using e-challan.
6. The admit cards for GATE 2016 would be available through the online process only. Candidates can download their admit card from GATE 2016 website. No printed copy of admit cards will be posted to the candidates.